Memorial Day isn’t just an opportunity for a barbecue or beach trip. It’s a day honoring American soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
We all live busy lives and while we know Memorial Day is important, doing even little things to commemorate the day often alludes us. A great way to honor these men and woman and to show appreciation for our freedom is to join in one of the many events happening around the bay state.
How can I honor them, you say??? Here are a few ideas that you could easily fit into your weekend.
- You could attend one the many parades or ceremonies that are taking place (Billerica’s parade starts at 10am on Monday)
- You could volunteer to place flags at the headstones of veterans (Billerica is meeting at Fox Hill Cemetery at 9am on Sat the 25th)
- You could stop what you are doing at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day which is the official National Moment of Remembrance.
- You can wear a red poppy as they are known as a symbol of remembrance and it is a tradition to wear them to honor those who died in war.
- You can donate to a charity that supports our veterans
- You could volunteer at a local VA hospital (Bedford VA is not that far!)
- Or simply, display your flag! Fly our Red White and Blue Banner in pride. The colors are symbolic. The White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valor, and the Blue above the stripes signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice.
You can find/search special events in your area here – https://www.massvacation.com/explore/holidays/memorial-day/
Freedom and Liberty will always have a price and it has been paid in blood by so many. It continues to cost the lives of those so eager and willing to pay for it. That cost must be honored lest we may each have to pay an equal price.